Old Mill Lifestyle House

The History of the Old Mill

Old Mill in the past

The Old Mill Lifestyle house was founded between the renewed walls of the Turkish-age old mill built in the estuary of the Danube and the Altal brook. With its big terrace overlooking the Danube, grassy, landscaped garden featuring rose gates and rose walkways, views onto the Gerecse’s gentle slopes, the Catholic Church built on Arpad-era bases, and the romantic little island (which might have been a refuge to Jokai’s Aranyember), the mill, built of archaic carved stones, provides real refreshment.

The view of cruise ships floating with dignity and rowers on the Danube, the array of waterfowl from wild ducks to herons, the unforgettable sunset painting different brilliances of colors every night make an ideal environment for recreation and regeneration.

The lower level, which has been restored to the original depth in the course of the restoration of the mill, is ideally suited to giving lectures. The table tennis, table soccer and dart games help spend your free time entertained in case of bad weather. The middle level is the scene of cultured relaxation; here is the internet corner, the home movie theatre and the library to improve your self-knowledge, which adapts into a breakfast or lunch room furnished with simple oak furniture, creating an rustic atmosphere for the meals. And the presence of the beehive oven, which is suitable for baking bread, makes it even more intimate.

On the upper floor, single-bed and double-bed rooms with en suite bathrooms furnished with oak furniture await those who visit here hoping for bodily and spiritually refreshment. Three of the rooms overlook the Danube and Tulkomarom; two overlook the feet of the Gerecse and the wonderful little island.

Old Mill now

With pile grounding, timber structure and wood panelling, a new wing was attached to the existing building - at the place of the old miller's house -, which resembles a ship. The new building fits the ancient monument with an impression of contrast.

Unique in Hungary, a butterfly house will be placed in the well-kept garden, where exotic butterflies can fly in the air, and the audience can freely walk between the”flying jewels”. The story of the little mill roots in the Turkish times. Almas village belonged to the Turkish authority from 1583 to 1683. The Hungarian-Turkish border was half way between Almas and Fuzito. In ”peaceful times”, the Turkish gave discounts to the villagers. According to the memorandums, the mill of Dunaalmas, which was built with the permission of the pasha of Zsambek, was already working in 1620. This is why we can say that the foundation-stones of the mill were placed 400 years ago.

On the side of the Altal brook, kvader stones can be well seen, which prove the expertise of the quarrymen of that time. The makers' monograms can still be found on the stones.

In the 18th century, four split wheels powered the grinding equipment of the mill. The mill was modernized and rebuilt in the beginning of the 20th century. The water-wheels were replaced by a water turbine, which can still be seen today. The turbine rotated a v-belt, which in turn rotated the 10-meter long steel shaft in the loft. This shaft - with the help of v-belts – powered the machines of the mill.

Until the nationalization of the mill in1952, it had always been in some kind of community or joint property, and rented.
The current owner bought the dilapidated building in 1995, and had its 18th-century form restored with the cooperation and guidance of monument specialists.